Monday, March 23, 2009

I came within 2 inches of quitting my job tonight

(Written March 21, 2009, ganked from my LJ)

I made an arrangement with my manager and another coworker that I would not work tonight, I would work on Sunday because they had me scheduled me too many hours. Well Billie, the marketing manager, called me tonight, *twenty minutes* after my supposed scheduled shift and said, "You're scheduled to work today,". I called her back and told her that I had made an arrangement with Mike (my manager) and another coworker, blah blah blah.

She started yelling at me. Told me if I didn't make it in tonight, I was fired. We got into a huge argument, I told her I couldn't because I had no one to watch my daughter (it was a lie, but it's the principal of the thing, and her tone was pissing me off and besides, I had done the right thing! She told me it was my responsibility to check my schedule. I told her I DID, that's why I made that arrangement and I would try (another lie) but I did not think I could make it in. She threatened to fire me tonight, because I was "calling in". I then informed her I'm NOT calling in, I thought the arrangement was a go so technically, NO, I'm not calling in.

The phone conversation ended with me bawling (I was crying, I was that pissed off.) About two seconds before I was going to pick up the phone to call her back and tell her I quit, she called me back, said "she thought about what I said" and ended up Donna was coming in to work for me but I had to come work for her tommorrow. I told her "that's what I was going to do *anyway*". She apologized, but I told her "thank you, but right now I'm not ready to accept it." And I'm not. I DO NOT appreciate being yelled at and threatened by someone who is supposed to be a professional.

So I'm calling in on Monday, my birthday, and I'm talking to HER boss to register a formal complaint. You can do it anonymously, but I'm NOT going to do it that way. I'm giving my name, and telling whoever it is that I WANT her to know it's me registering the complaint and also for her to feel free to talk to me about it if she feels she can be an adult and we will work it out like adults. I'm also letting her boss know that I'm going to him/her because at this time, I don't feel safe talking to her about it. Plus she deserves it. If anyone EVER talks to me the way she did today, I will quit on the spot. I'm also letting her boss know that I do have a chronic mental illness, furthermore Billie KNOWS I have a chronic mental illness and you do not yell at and threaten someone who is in a precarious mental state, especially if you have full knowledge of that fact.

I may just be a peon, and she may think she's big shit because she's the new marketing manager, but I am still a human being and I would NEVER talk to anyone the way she talked to me today. She needs to learn that just because she's a big cheese, she still needs to show decorum and respect for the people under her. If that's the type of person I'm going to have to work for, I'm not too sure I will be working there much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment